header

Home
Ancestor Gallery
Announcements
Association
Biographies
Carpenter Cemetery
Cemeteries
Clothing 1700s
Coat of Arms
Edict of Nantes
Family Letters
Ferree Store
Gazette
Genealogy Humor
Gunsmiths
History
Homes, Estates, Lands
Land Grant
Lineal Societies
Memorabilia
New Paltz Huguenots
Newsletter
Other Ferree Events
Paradise, PA
Past DOMF Reunions
Qwik Facts
Reunion 2016
Revocation of Edict

Maria Warenbuer Ferree Memorial Plaque

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. - Anonymous

churchfront
 

In this French Protestant (Huguenot) Church in Charleston, South Carolina, there can be found a plaque honoring the memory of Maria Warenbuer Ferree.

The church located on the corner of Church and Queen Streets in Charleston was founded in 1681 by Huguenot refugees. It is the only remaining independent Huguenot church in America. The original building was destroyed by fire in 1796 and was rebuilt. The present building dates back to1845 surviving the bombardment of Charleston during the Civil War and then later damage from an earthquake. More history of the church and information can be found on their website www.frenchhuguenotchurch.org.

sanctuary The plaque was sponsored in 1942 by Mrs. Harry Clark Bodon (Marguerite) of Newark, Delaware, with a donation of $150.00. Church files show there was some discussion with Mrs. Bodon regarding the various spellings of Warenbuer. Also, because of limited spacing on the plaque it was decided to put Pequea Valley instead of Lancaster County as she had originally requested. Wording is cut into the stone except for a dash following the 16 which represents the birth date of Maria. Since that date could not be determined at the time, a dash was painted on with the thought it could easily be removed and the missing numbers stone cut at a later time once the exact date was known.

 

 

plaqueone

 
 
 
 

 

plaquetwo