This victorian style house was built by John Lightner and completed in 1877 as a wedding present for his daughter, Cecilia, and John Steele Witmer. Both the Witmer and Lightner families were prominent in the early settling of this area. They intermarried with the Ferrees when Jane Lightner, daughter of John and Leah Ferree Lightner, married David Witmer, Jr. Both John and Cecilia Witmer were fourth great grandchildren of Madame Ferree.
Much of the house remains as first built. Today it is a "bed and breakfast" known as Country Patches.