header

Home
Ancestor Gallery
Announcements
Association
Biographies
Carpenter Cemetery
Cemeteries
Clothing 1700s
Coat of Arms
Edict of Nantes
Family Letters
Ferree Store
Gazette
Genealogy Humor
Gunsmiths
History
Homes, Estates, Lands
Land Grant
Lineal Societies
Memorabilia
New Paltz Huguenots
Newsletter
Other Ferree Events
Paradise, PA
Past DOMF Reunions
Qwik Facts
Revocation of Edict
Jacob Ferree House

 

137 Leacock Road Paradise, PA
 
jacobferreehouse
 
This homestead was owned by Jacob Ferree (1728-1783) deeded to him by his father, Philip Ferree, son of Madame. He built this house in 1754, made of field stone, English brick, hand made nails, lath, and native woods. The property was purchased by David Witmer in 1777 or 1778 and for many years the Witmer family operated a hemp mill on the property and then later a grist mill.

Samuel Brua operated a grist mill there known as Brua's Mill and also a machine shop next to the mill. He and his descendants lived in the house until it was sold at the turn of the century. The property has changed hand several times over the years.

In 1994 the property was purchased by a couple newly retired from Christian ministry who were fulfilling a lifelong desire to open a "bed and breakfast". It was renamed "Parsons Place".

Since that time, the house has been renovated and modernized by new owners.

This plaque is placed on the house.

 

 
jacobferreeplaque

Source: "Paradise, Our Heritage, Our Home", published by Paradise Township Citizens Committee, Inc., Lancaster, PA, edited by Robert Denlinger; "300 Years in Paradise", published by Paradise Township 300th Anniversary Committee, Paradise, PA.